Soil For Life is a new initiative funded by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership, a five-year federal-provincial-territorial initiative, and led by a diverse group of Member partners.
The Member partners include:
- Beef Farmers of Ontario
- Christian Farmers Federation of Ontario
- Conservation Ontario
- Co-op Regionale (Thornloe/New Liskeard)
- Farm and Food Care Ontario
- Grain Farmers of Ontario
- Grand River Conservation Authority
- Ontario Federation of Agriculture
- Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Growers Assoc.
- Ontario Soil & Crop Improvement Assoc.
- Ontario Soil Network
- Representatives from Ontario Certified Crop Advisors (CCA-ON)
- Soils at Guelph Initiative
Soil For Life focuses on five major principles to break down and simplify the complex concept of soil health and sustainability. These same principles appear in New Horizons – Ontario’s Soil Health and Conservation Strategy that was released in 2019 and will provide a framework for the conversation. They are:
- Build soil organic matter
- Diversify crops
- Minimize soil disturbance
- Keep living roots throughout the year
- Keep the soil covered
Soil For Life will help to focus conversations on soil health and amplify a unified voice in agriculture.
Join the conversation #SoilForLife